Masahiro IharaPeople I meet are always asking me “how can I lose this extra 5 or 10 pounds – I exercise 5 times a week and I eat pretty healthy, but I can’t seem to lose it?” Said of course as they pinch the extra fat on their waist in disdain. But when I dig a little deeper, like any good diet coach or personal trainer would do, I discover that what they think is “eating pretty healthy” has lots of room for improvement.
So with that in mind, here are some things you can begin to do RIGHT NOW – TODAY that will help you lose more weight – and certainly help tackle those nagging last five pounds. Print it out – hang it above your desk, post a copy on your iPad or hang it on your refrigerator, but most importantly start doing them!
Remember – fitness may start in the gym, but it always ends up in the kitchen! No matter how you slice it – what you eat makes up 75% of the fitness equation!
1. Read labels
2. Skip dessert
3. Eat breakfast
4. Eat last meal 2 to 3 hours before bed
5. Bake, grill or broil foods
6. Eliminate cream based sauces
7. Stop eating before you feel
8. Add more fiber to your diet roughly – women around 25g and men 38g
9. Keep meals around 300 to 350 calories
10. Eat fruit instead of drinking fruit juices
11. Keep snacks at around 100 to 150 calories
12. Give up dairy
13. Give up sugar
14. Choose lean protein sources
15. Shop the outside aisles at the store
16. Eat fresh not frozen
17. Eat slower
18. Chew more thoroughly
19. Choose low glycemic (low blood sugar spike) carbohydrates
20. Eliminate all white flour products such as white bread and white rice
21. Choose monounsaturated fats such as avocado, olive oil, nuts etc.
22. When snacking on nuts keep servings to 10 to 12 nuts at a time
23. Keep a food journal and record everything
24. Have one cheat day a week
25. Don’t use the word diet
26. Eliminate other potentially inflammatory foods like soy, eggs, and corn
27. Don’t skip meals
29. Keep sugar grams under 100 per day
30. Keep sodium intake under 2000 milligrams per day
31. Eat more vegetables than fruit
32. Avoid preservatives, processed sugar (especially high fructose corn syrup)
33. Make peace with the above – then rinse and repeat
As always – remember it’s a choice! Move More. Eat Better. Forgive Often.
Want to work one on one with me, get coaching or a consultation? Send an email to me at email@example.com and let’s start the conversation!