It’s no secret that around 75% of people who set New Years Resolutions fail to keep them. While that statistic truly stinks, I want to breathe new life into the idea that you can prevail and sometimes all you need is a primer of some of the best tactics to help keep you on track! Here are the top 5 things you can do to reinforce keeping your New Years fitness goals.
1. Revise your large fitness goal into a series of smaller fitness goals. People who choose smaller goals such as “ I will go to the gym 3 times a week as opposed to 1 time a week this year” tend to maintain their goal more than someone who states “I want to lose 50 pounds by summer”.
2. Enlist gym buddies to make the journey more enjoyable and instill a sense of responsibility to “show up”.
3. Talk it up. Share your goals with as many people as possible, preferably those who support you in a positive way. Research shows that the more you make your goals alive, the more apt you are to keep them.
4. No self beat. Hey, we all have setbacks but one or two small setbacks don’t have to mean it’s time to throw in the towel. Dust yourself off and get back on your horse!
5. Revisit why your fitness goals are important to you. Give them real substance. Not just “I want to fit into my skinny jeans” (although that would rock!) instead, how about “I want to walk in a room and be able to infuse those around me with good vibes as I now feel confident and charismatic with my new fit and healthy body”.